sportsworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sol Campbell I'M NOT A PRIMA DONNA..

Go down

Sol Campbell I'M NOT A PRIMA DONNA.. Empty Sol Campbell I'M NOT A PRIMA DONNA..

Post  Admin Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:56 pm

SOL CAMPBELL today insists he walked out on Sven Goran Eriksson's Notts County revolution because promises made to him were broken.

The former England defender quit the League Two club after just 29 days.

And speaking about his decision for the first time, Campbell reveals: "I knew I would be the club's first big signing but was told I would be the first of many.

"Names like Roberto Carlos and Benjani were mentioned. But nothing materialised.

"And you know when people have money because things happen quickly.

"The only thing I'm guilty of is taking people at their word."

The centre-half was back in his native London enjoying the weekend sunshine in the garden of his luxurious Chelsea home, calmly taking stock after his shock exit from Meadow Lane.

Campbell, 35, has stunned the football world by leaving Sven Goran Eriksson's League Two side "by mutual consent" on Tuesday after playing in just one match - an away defeat at Morecambe last week.

But he insists he has a clear conscience over quitting so quickly.

Campbell emphasised: "The only thing I'm guilty of is taking people at their word and giving people the benefit of the doubt.

"So I'm not embarrassed, not hurt or humbled or anything like that - I am just disappointed.

"I bought into a dream and I wanted to make that dream a reality. But it took me less than a month to realise that it was all heading to a different conclusion."

It all seemed so exciting for Campbell when he agreed a five-year deal at Meadow Lane last month, signing on to an ambitious project to lift lowly County from the basement division to the Premier League.

He had high hopes, having been swayed by big promises.

"I knew I would be the club's first big signing but was told I would be the first of many. Names like Roberto Carlos and Benjani were mentioned - now that would have been a statement of intent. But, for whatever reason, it didn't happen. And all I will say is that you know when people have money because things happen and they happen quickly.

"Let's leave it at that. I don't want to say too much. I'm going to remain dignified. I'm not interested in this becoming a slanging match.

"They can say what they want about me but I have got nothing against County.

"It is a good club and there are some good people working there, really good people

"The players are a good bunch of lads and the supporters were terrific to me. I have nothing bad to say about them."

Even the bitter claim by Eriksson (far right) that Campbell had let him down did not bring a reaction.

"I can understand Sven saying that, of course I can. But I'm convinced there's still a lot to come out about all of this."

The former Tottenham, Arsenal and Portsmouth star also scoffed at reports that he couldn't cope with life in League Two and was dismayed by the dramatic drop in standards on and off the pitch. He said: "That's nonsense. I'm not a prima donna.

"I'm from Stratford, East London. I can get down and dirty. I just roll my sleeves up and get on with it.

"Let's be honest - I knew the standard of football was going to be dramatically different from the Premier League.

"And as for the trip to Morecambe¿ the facilities at Morecambe, they weren't actually that bad. I've seen worse.

"Remember, I used to be at Portsmouth - have you seen Fratton Park? Have you been to the training ground?

"OK, the Morecambe fans gave me a load of stick but I've grown used to that.

"Their manager was really good about it. He apologised over it and said he'd complain to the supporters' club about the treatment I got. That was decent of him but I'm not that precious!"

Campbell is adamant his sudden departure, which came less than a month after his free transfer move to the Midlands, was not football related.

But he will not be specific about the reasons he decided to walk away - not yet, anyway.

He said: "I just want to move on". But that could be easier said than done.

The transfer window does not re-open until January, which means Campbell could be kicking his heels for more than three months. But he believes his return to action will be sooner than most expect.

"We will just have to wait and see who comes in for me now but I don't think I will have to wait until January. I'm talking to people now to try to solve that."

That's because if Campbell can show "just cause" for walking out on County, he could return to playing straight away.

And he was clearly expecting a call for he had two mobile phones in his hand.

He added: "I want to be back playing as soon as possible. There's one or two loose things to tie up with County and then I can close the door on this episode.

"I wish them well. I hope things work out for them. It's a shame because every day there's something else coming out in the newspapers and who knows what will be revealed next.

"But I'm just looking forward, not back. And I can't wait to find a new club and to get out playing again."

source: http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/524068/sol-campbell.html

Admin
Admin

https://sports24hours.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum